[iw] - Apple already scans iCloud Mail for CSAM, but not iCloud Photos

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Aug 23 10:55:02 EDT 2021

Apple already scans iCloud Mail for CSAM, but not iCloud Photos
 https://9to5mac.com/2021/08/23/apple-scans-icloud-mail-for-csam/

< - >

Apple confirmed to me that it has been scanning outgoing and incoming iCloud Mail for CSAM attachments since 2019. Email is not encrypted, so scanning attachments as mail passes through Apple servers would be a trivial task.

Apple also indicated that it was doing some limited scanning of other data, but would not tell me what that was, except to suggest that it was on a tiny scale. It did tell me that the “other data” does not include iCloud backups.

< - >